Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Bargain Shopper Lady

I am excited to write that God has blessed me beyond belief and I had the privilege of writing a bargain and saving money column in our local Today Newspaper. It came out today! If the column gets great reviews, it will actually turn into a pretty permanent thing. This is what the editor wrote " Let us know what you think of these deals, and we'll see if Granniss will send you more!" YEAH!
This is one of those "dream jobs" for me. One that takes almost no effort and I can rattle off a column on my computer during a nap period while the boys are sleeping. The paper also posted a link to my website, http://www.bargainshopperlady.com/ were people can come and very soon take an online coupon class that I wrote.
There is something about helping another person save money. It blesses my heart. Most bargain shoppers are like this. We shop at the grocery store and we know we are going to take a little (okay a lot) of extra time checking out while the cashier scans our coupons. We always want to share the experience of the total price going down with others. So we check the basket of the lady in front and back of us. Then we calculate and pull out coupons to give them. Why? Well, we feel bad about how long it is going to take us, but mainly we want to share the thrill of saving money. Quick tip, did you know when you use a $1 coupon, you usually save anywhere from $1.35-$1.50! Why? Well you weren't taxed. You were not taxed on your salary by the government and you weren't taxed on your grocery bill. So if I saved $50 on my grocery bill say out of $100, I actually saved around $75. I do need a few more moms to take a test online coupon class that I am trying out. It is free and I would like feedback on the material to see if you understood it.
So now to sign off with my new signature!
Every penny counts with the Bargain Shopper Lady!
Blessings,
Lori

7 comments:

Lauren said...

Hey Lori!
Wow, you are cool! I may be taking your class come Jan or Feb when I'm an official stay at home mom. I am a coupon girl, too (pretty much the only reason we subscribe to the Sunday paper--we are sad, ignorant people, I know), but I have not done as much research as you on the best ways to save.
Also, have you ever heard of the website Freecycle? It's basically kind of like Craig's List, except everything on it is free. It's big in Boston--not sure if it exists elsewhere.

Janelle and Ella said...

That is so cool!! Congratulations!! I am certainly one of those that knows nothing about using coupons, but I want to learn.

FordeFam said...

Wowsers!!! That does sound like a dream job!!! I will definitely look into that class you are having!!! I am all about saving money!!! I always tell people that I am a clearance rack addict, but I would love to consider my self a coupon pro as well!!! Yay!!! So exciting!!! ;)

Murrell Family said...

I have tried cutting coupons, but I usually stop the process at cutting. For some reason, I can't make it to the store with the coupons. I could use your help!

Murrell Family said...

I have tried cutting coupons, but for some reason the process stops there. I can't seem to make it to the store with the coupons! I could use your course.

MamaCass said...

Very Cool! I love cutting out coupons but when it comes down to it I never use them but I should!

Jenny said...

Coupons are great! I have been able to teach at local churches on using coupons to increase thier food banks. As well as save money on their grocery bill. Congrats on the cool job that sounds wonderful!