Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I am Taking A NEW YEARS CHALLEGE!

I am taking on a New Years Challenge to cook and eat at home for an entire month.
I've made it so far for three whole days! :) I have made Smoothies, Stew, Pasta and all kinds of dishes to keep me from wanting to spend money on food outside the house. I went grocery shopping last week and came home with the motherload of bargain groceries. My total was $175 and went down to $32 after coupons. I even got tons of Organic items.
Landon is starting to beg for a Sonic burrito so I am not sure if he is going to make it! I can get Sonic burritos with coupons for less than $1 so I hardly ever turn Landon down when he asks to go.
My deep question for the day is why is it so hard for me not to eat out? Let me explore that thought. Hubs grew up in the country and hardly ever ate out. I grew up in the city and ate out quite often. Well that explains it! I am spoiled to eating out.
Needless to say hubs is very excited about this challenge. I am up for it because I want to see how much money it will save us! I am even avoiding Starbucks (but I did buy those bottled Starbucks at the grocery store.) They'll have to do for $1.25 each!

10 comments:

Hannah E. said...

Ooh...that's good! I'm scared to take that challenge. I want to know how it goes!

MamaCass said...

You are my inspiration. We have tried to do this before but we are so weak. I support you all the way though! You go girl!

Funky Cold Medinas said...

Good for you. The best way Jeff and I learned to quit eating out (except for every now and then) is to make a menu for the week, write it out, and stick it on the fridge...AND, the key is to make GOOD STUFF, so you won't want to eat out.

Heather said...

We are trying that too...and both of us are spoiled suburb kids!! AHH!! Ok so I check your bargain lady blog a lot, but I need to know the secret of how to get $175 worth of grocery's for $32! That would help us out so much since grocery's are more expensive (along with everything else) in NY!

carleigh said...

hey, what about our girls night out tomorrow nite? do i need to eat first? i don't want to make you stumble! seriously, this is cool, i know we could save a bundle! brian is begging now to try it.

FordeFam said...

What a great challenge!!! I'm so glad to know that we're not the only ones who have that as a regular temptation! Somehow I thought everyone had it all together and ate at home on their dining room table all the time! I need to ask people more questions, hehe! :) I think what makes it so hard is that once you cook and eat at home you also have the dishes and clean up to do! With little ones it sometimes gets a little crazy! I just have to keep thinking about the pioneer women! We have it easy! ;)

Lauren said...

hey girlie! way to go! what a great goal!

i find it easier to cook at home when i am inspired to make something new. (or something old that i like a lot.) this started when i started getting cooking light magazine. i made a goal of trying two new recipes a month from it, and it not only helped me expand the number of dishes i can make, but it also taught me new cooking skills and kept me interested in the kitchen (and nathan interested in eating!). i am sure you can find all kinds of good recipe websites to get your juices going. some of my favorites are cookinglight.com, williamssonoma.com, and foodtv.com.

FitzandMolly said...

okay, my jaw is on the floor over your grocery bill. $32??? You're amazing!

Ephesians 5:10 said...

Lori- YOU ROCK! That's a really great goal! I'm a big fan of home cooking (we live in the country like your Hubs...)and it IS true... you save a tone of money... but it is a discipline. YOU GO GIRL! Dave will love it, whatever you make!

The Self Cottage said...

wow- you are amazing. now if i could only get my hubs to take you up on this challenge... you are my hero!